Thursday 30 October 2008

Finished!

I crossed the Mexican border into Tijuana today so that's it - I've
cycled from Canada to Mexico, and can now hang up my dusty cycling
shoes for a few days and relax on the beach in San Diego. I'm staying
here until I fly back to the UK on Tuesday.

I checked into my hostel yesterday so only had 25 miles to ride today,
but most of the route was through very busy city streets and the
traffic was stop/start the whole time so it was slow going.

It was quite surreal finally arriving at my final destination after
pedalling for so long. I was through to the Mexican side in no time,
didn't have to show my passport - just wheeled my bike through a
revolving gate and I was there. I had a beer and as usual people came
up to talk to me and ask questions about my bike and where I'd
started. It's a bit like being a minor celebrity!

Getting back to the US wasn't quite so easy. I had to queue for 2
hours, luckily I met someone in the queue who drove me and my bike
back to the hostel otherwise I would have had to cycle back in the dark.

So now I feel tired from the ride, slightly hungover from a night out
with people from the hostel last night, but really happy that I made it.

I'll put a few more photos from the final leg of the ride up tomorrow.

Sent from my iPod

9 comments:

Marlo Jean Harris said...

Hurrah!! Congratulations! I think I'm a little sad that you're coming back, I'm going to miss your blogs. :-)

Unknown said...

WOW!!! Huge congratulations Alf! I am so impressed! It's been great keeping up with your travels on your blog. Looking forward to catching up with you when you get back and hearing more stories. Now I must go and tend to a baby that won't sleep.
Have a good journey back.
Mandy

Dad said...

Congratulations, well done. Loved the blog, I feel as though i was with you every pedal (not step) of the way. Anna sends congrats and love as well. We look forward to hearing more over a meal when you get back
Dad

Me said...

Good work :)

The commute to work will never be the same again......

dug said...

Congrats on a job well done! It's an amazing accomplishment.

Eliza said...

Well done, I can't believe you've done it! And you didn't even get lost. Really looking forward to meeting up & hearing all about it.

Safe journey home.
Liz.xxx

Unknown said...

you made it! congratulations on a job well done!Followed your adventures on your blog - loved the photos.mum: bet you look really brown, fit and healthy. Paul: I see from one of your photos you're catching up wih Forrest !!!! Safe jopurney home, see you soon.
Mum and Paul xxx

Gary said...

Congratulations Al. I bet your thighs are the size of dwarf torsos. Hopefully catch up with you soon so you can tell me all about the adventure (for the 1000th time no doubt!)
See you
Gary

Unknown said...

Good work fella!!
Can you go up the East coast now so I can continue to have an entertaining blog to read when I'm bored at work?
Looking forward to hearing all your stories over a bevvy....